One of the most important steps in maintaining the level of sugar in the blood is the diet for diabetics, especially children, and maintaining this system well,
You must calculate the number of carbohydrates, and he must avoid eating large amounts of sweets because they raise the level of sugar in the blood and the child may lead to serious complications.
Lack of attention to feeding a child with diabetes may lead to a decrease in blood sugar and may lead to a coma, or diseases in the eyes, kidneys, and feet. Therefore, today we will discuss a diabetic diet, especially for children.
- Type 1 diabetes, or the so-called insulin-dependent type, was formerly called juvenile type.
- This type (type 1) diabetes is the most common in children
- Type 2 diabetes, or the so-called non-insulin-dependent type, was previously called anaplastic type.
- Type 2: This type of diabetes is rare in children.
A diabetic diet, especially for children
Diet for diabetic children
Treatment of diabetes in children depends on three methods
In order to reach a normal blood sugar level, you must feed the child a good healthy diet while taking the insulin level that the doctor prescribes for him.
Speaking of the child’s diet, this system must be healthy and balanced and contain all the nutrients that the child needs for the growth of his body, but these elements must be in certain quantities that are determined by your child’s doctor.
The diet for a diabetic must contain calories appropriate for his age and the source of these calories, including:
From 10% to 20% of protein.
From 25% to 30% is fat, but your child should avoid saturated or trans fats.
From 50% to 60% carbohydrates.
What is the importance of carbohydrates in a diabetic diet?
Carbohydrates are one of the most important elements that your child with diabetes should eat.
But in certain proportions, 50% of the calories he needs are from carbohydrates.
And you must calculate the percentage of carbohydrates that the child eats, as it is the most influential on the level of sugar in the blood,
Where the researchers defined the unit of measurement for carbohydrates, which is that each unit carbohydrates = 15 grams of carbohydrates, and we will now explain it in a more simple way.
If you have an 8-year-old child suffering from type 1 diabetes, he needs 1,800 calories per day, and since carbohydrates contain 50% of calories, then (1,800 x 50% = 900), this means that your child needs 900 calories. From carbohydrates.
Since only one gram of carbohydrates gives the child 4 kcal of energy, (900 ÷ 4 = 225) grams, where a child who needs 1,800 calories can be given about 225 grams of carbohydrates per day.
Since one unit of carbohydrates equals 15 grams of carbohydrates, then (225 ÷ 15 = 15), this means that the child can eat only 15 units of carbohydrates.
Therefore, it is necessary for parents to know the method of calculating carbohydrates in grams, which differs from each child to the other in terms of age, height, gender and health status.
Allowed in bread and starches for a child with diabetes
This group contains 15 grams of carbohydrates and 80 calories, as follows:
- 30 grams of bread, or roughly half a loaf of small bread.
- ½ cup of corn flakes.
- 1/3 cup of rice.
- ½ cup of corn.
- One small boiled potato.
- 1/3 cup of chickpeas.
- ½ cup of pasta.
- 1/3 cup of legumes.
Allowed fruits for a child with diabetes
This group contains 15 grams of carbohydrates and also 60 calories, which are as follows:
- an Apple.
- Kiwi is medium in size.
- 15 grapes.
- ½ Large banana or small banana
- An orange.
- ½ Mango
- 2 figs.
- 3 apricots.
Allowed milk for a child with diabetes
Each type of this group contains 12 grams of carbohydrates and 120 calories, which are:
- 1 cup of whole milk.
- 1 cup of curd.
The specialists did not mention meat, vegetables and fats because they are not high in carbohydrates and have little effect on blood glucose.
You must know the carbohydrate schedule well, what are its alternatives and your child’s favorite foods.
Also, you must use certain tools to measure the amount that your child should eat,
For example, a measuring cup or a digital scale, as any difference in the amount that a child should eat can affect his blood sugar level.
Important advice for a diabetic diet, especially for children
Feeding a child with diabetes is one of the most important steps in treating him, so you should follow these tips:
- The blood sugar level should be checked 4-7 times daily to ensure that the blood sugar level is good, and also to determine the required insulin level.
- You must calculate the number of carbohydrates your diabetic child eats.
- Check with the doctor who supervises your child’s treatment regularly to determine his diet, because it varies according to age, height, health status, and gender.
- Focus on the importance of exercise for your child because it will fight obesity, and it will help the body absorb insulin faster.
- Its diet should be varied and contain grains, starches, vegetables, meat, fruits, fats, and milk.
- He has to eat 3 main meals and from 2 to 3 snacks throughout the day.
- The child should reduce the intake of high-fat foods and fried foods, and replace them with low-fat foods.
- Constantly drinking plenty of water and fluids.
- Diversify the diets and not deprive the child of any type of food.
- The child can be made to eat sweets or sugar but in certain quantities.
In the end, you must follow a diabetic diet, especially for children
The content of the submitted articles, including all text, graphics, images, and other materials, is provided for educational purposes only.
The information provided is not a substitute for professional medical advice or professional diagnosis.
Moreover, the information on this website should not be taken as final medical advice in relation to any case or individual situation.
We strongly recommend that you always seek the advice of your doctor or other qualified health service provider with any questions you may have regarding any medical condition, your general health, or the health of your child.
If you liked the article, share it with friends to spread the benefit